Facts about Österlenbyn
Peace and quiet but still all service within easy reach. Simrishamn, the capital of Österlen, is a genuine and beautiful small town. It is not least the city's buildings that make up its charm. The low houses in pastel colors lie in long rows along cobbled streets. Beautifully carved doors are also typical of the neighborhood, as are the dazzling gardens that lie like invisible oases behind tall wooden boards.
It was probably sometime in the 1200 century that it was big enough to get city rights. At the site, however, there have been settlements since the Stone Age. The first time Simrishamn is mentioned is 1123 when the Norwegian king Jorsalafarare with his fleet must have added here. The name of the fishing village was then Svimraros which means "the mouth to the river that overflows" and refers to Tommarpsån. The fishing village grew to become a significant port city, thanks to the herring, which had a decisive impact on the city's economy and history. Therefore, a fish is also depicted on the city weapon.
When the Hanseatic League broke, the times became more difficult and the herring lost its importance. Nor was it better that the Swedes plundered the city in the middle of the 1600 century. But during the time of freedom, merchant houses grew up. Tanner Ehrnberg laid the foundation for the city's large industry, the leather factory. How it went you can see the tannery museum in Strömska gården. The shipping companies developed as the trade grew, during the end of 1800's, Österlen had Sweden's largest sailing ship fleet. In Simrishamn, the shipowner family Björkengren owned no less than seventy vessels.
St. Nicolai Church is from the 1100 century and built in gray hallway. For a long time the church was dressed in gray cement, but on a visit to Simrishamn, the artist Carl Milles promised to donate a sculpture if the cement was knocked off. Now it sparkles again in the gray hallway and on the lawn the Milles sculptures float. Famous is the pulpit that carries Christian IV's name cipher, the splendidly crafted baptismal font, the medieval crucifix and the eastern oldest votive ship (church ship) from 1776.
The sea and nature characterize the atmosphere. Visit Österlens museum, Pharmacy's Mediterranean garden, Autoseum with Frasses & Marianne's music museum, Nordic Sea Winery, the merchant's houses, the hotel tourist farm's rosarium, Rosentorget, the art museum Gösta Werner & the sea and much more. Shop in the city's shops and have a cup of coffee at one of the many cafés or enjoy a good menu in the city's restaurants. From Simrishamn station, Pågatågen runs in principle every hour Simrishamn-Malmö. Express buses operate lines towards Lund and Kristianstad and local buses go to the municipality's other villages.
Feel free to share the page with someone in need: